MiChelle M. Vara’s list of press and publications
-Woman Turns Metal Into Masterpiece 5/31/2011 Post Star (3 min video and paper story).
- National Fabricators, (FMA) 4/2011- Life in Abstract
• The Saratogian, 2/13/2010- Artist finds inspiration in her Ballard Road Art Studio. http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2010/02/15/wglife/doc4b747c076f9a8539468965.txt
• Saratoga Today 10/09, The Domestic Violence Awareness Project.
• The Chronicle 10/01, Domestic violence art at BJSArtworks.
• The Daily Freeman 7/12, Replica of Hudson’s ship stolen from sculpture.
• Eco-Local Guide- Summer magazine edition, Trash to Treasure Artist Brings New Life to Junk by: Pamela Gibbs, page 7.
• The Daily Freeman 7/07, Sculpture show has nature on its mind http://www.dailyfreeman.com/articles/2009/07/12/life/doc4a57f9e77d6a1288305349.txt
• A.S.K. members news 7/01, cover picture and blurb.
• Capital News 9- 6/30, Wilton artist builds 10-foot Henry Hudson
• The Post Star-October 14, Out of The Dark into the Art, By CE Skidmore
• The Record– Sept 25, “Empowerment” By Phil Drew
• Spirit of Saratoga Magazine– September, A Metal-some Woman, By Pamela Brooks
• The Daily Gazette, June 2, Sculpture made for new park at Revolutionary War site.
• The FreePress- June 2, Park Dedication for metal sculpture.
• Post Star, June 19 2008, Pocket Park dedicated.
• The Times Union, June 12, (Preview) Street Sparks Exhibit brings new set
of bold sculpture to downtown Albany.
• The Times Union, Art is Controversial -By Paul Grondahl, June 21 20082007
• Times Union, June 15, Artist to share Vision
• Post Star, June 21, Sparks will fly
• The Post Star- April 22, History, modern art collide
• Vermont Public TV interview
• The Record, Big Woman2006
• Post Star Newspaper October 12-Memories in metal
• Channel 13 News, 10/12- Artwork honors domestic violence victim.
• Channel 8 News , Stop domestic violence
• Gazette news NY, Domestic Violence
• Public TV, emotion in metal
• Bennington Banner VT,
• Times Union Albany NY
• May 6, Post Star Article Bike from Hell2005
• The Post Star, Sept 24
• Daily Gazette- Exhibit Cultural offerings highlighted.
• June 10, Waterways News
• May 3, The Post Star Article.
• Lake George Escape gets a face lift.
• Times Union, Spaces Magazine summer edition-Mail Call
• Vermont Public TV interview 2004
– Gazette news article hand forged for individuality.
-Times Union Special– Moose Sculpture carries Mail
-Times Union—Local Artist to raise AwarenessGrants
2010 Hudson River Maritime Museum Kingston NY2009- NY State
“Henry Hudson and the Half Moon”- 114”h x 60”w x 72”d2007-08 Lakes to Locks Passage “The Train Of Artillery”
240”h x 218”w x 384”d . Permanent display Northumberland Park NY 1998- Parks/ State of NY North Creek Ski Bowl -”Birds of the Air”Kinetic sculpture
1996- Gore Mtn. Parks and Recreation
Trail map for Gore Mountain North Creek NY
miChelle is always on private commission. Her income is as an artist producing sculpture, paint, custom, aesthetic and functional pieces for individuals, corporate and state clients.
- 2011- Autism Awareness Project NY/ supporting education and awareness.
- 2010-Rema Hort Mann Foundation NYNY/ supporting the cure of caner. Jack Shainman Gallery NY NY.
- 2008- Art of the Umbrella-NFP/fund raiser to keep elderly and disabled persons in their homes independent and safe.
- 2008- Aids Awareness-fundraiser 2006– fund raiser for Domestic violence . $-raised for the Dawn Bovey Roberts Children’s Fund NY.2007– large sculptural commission for NY State Parks.2008– 1995 many sculptural and painting commissions for varied private, corporate and public spaces.All specific client information to be compiled and supplied on request.
- Classes Taught
2009– BRA Studio “Sculpture A dimensional thought”
2006– 2009 Salem Art Works “Beginning Welding “ Found Object Welding”
1999-1997 Warren County Adult Education 6 week course on fo’ finishes
1996-1993– Children summer class, Warren County- Sculpture the Basics
1992-1995– Long Swamp Studio Bayville NJ -Figure Drawing & Perspective drawing
1993-1992– Adult education Toms River NJ- Color Theory
miChelle has a Masters in Life.
miChelle was educated untraditionally thru Montessori schooling and one on one specialists. Working to prove what dyslexia’s boundaries are, and how to over come them. Her clinical disability is crossed optic lobe. The incoming information goes in the visual part of the brain first, unlike the “normally developed brain”. She thinks it is her greatest birth gift.
2013- Golf Club Building and Fitting – Certified
1998– Modern Welding-Certified in all Positions/Types welding/brazing
1990– SC Institute-Jewelry making
1997– RIT– Blue print reading
1995– Practical welding Pete Hues
1994–92 Adirondack Community College
1986-84– Green Mt. Blacksmithing/ hand forging/hammering tech.
1984-82-Ocean County College– Associates Photography
1980-81- Full scholarship top Pratt University
1980– 81-Toms River Tech.– Commercial Art Certification.
From WithIn- 2012
Kingston Sculpture Biennial 2009